ST. NICHOLAS' CHURCH
The Church adjoining the Abbey Gateway in Abingdon is dedicated to St. Nicholas and was built around 1170. The monks of the Abbey used for the former Abbey Church for worship, but St. Nicholas' was built for the laity and other tenants. The Church is first referenced in 1177 by which time it was completed.
Saint Edmund of Abingdon is known to have worshipped here as a child. The Church tower was added in the 15th Century at which time the Chancel was rebuilt.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller