ST. ALBAN THE MARTYR, HOLBORN
A church was founded here during the great Anglo-Catholic revival of the mid-Victorian period. The church, designed by William Butterfield, opened in 1863 but was utterly destroyed by a bomb in April 1941, leaving only smoking ruins. The original church was built in an area of terrible destitution.
The church was subsequently rebuilt on a smaller scale by Adrian Gilbert Scott, grandson of Sir George Gilbert Scott and was finally reconsecrated in 1961, although to be honest the result looks less like a church and more like a school building.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller