Albury Church is unremarkable in itself but has a great position on one of the highest parts of the local landscape, making it a dominant presence.
The church is thought to date to the 12th Century, although the oldest part surviving now is the chancel which is 13th Century. The nave was added around 1360, although the roof has been renewed since then, and most likely raised higher as was common practice.
The roof screen dates to around 1400 and about fifty years later the tower was added along with the south porch.
Like many English parish churches, Albury was in a poor state by the 18th Century and so extensive rebuilding was needed. The chancel was restructured in 1855 and early in the 20th Century the interior was completed remodelled. By 1963 the tower was considered dangerous and it cost £6,000 to repair it – much from local donations.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller