It is not clear how old this rather attractive church is, it isn’t mentioned in the Domesday Book, but some of the stonework is clearly 12th Century. All was rebuilt in the 13th when the church was widened and bit by bit the tower was added, the last part being the spire added early in the 14th Century. Shortly after this the nave was widened and the north aisle rebuilt around 1330. Towards the end of the 15th Century the chancel was heightened and re-roofed, the last major addition being a raising and re-roofing of the nave during the 16th Century.
Restoration work was done in the 1870s but it was done with some finesse and so the church still looks largely medieval and today is one of Huntingdonshire’s most satisfying.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller