ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
The only Anglican church on Alderney, St Anne is built to the designs of Sir George Gilbert Scott - that inveterate church builder of the Victorian age. Incredibly the construction was solely funded by Revd Canon John Le Mesurier, son of the last Hereditary Governor of Alderney.
The church was consecrated in 1850 and forms part of the Diocese of Winchester. During the German occupation in World War II the church was used as a storehouse, a machine gun was set up in the Belfry and even today the walls have bullet holes here and there.
The interior was gutted and all the wood had to be replaced in 1953. Of the six bells, four were removed by the Germans and taken to Cherbourg. They were supposed to be melted down for munitions but were found after the war and returned to Alderney where they were reinstalled.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller