In 1308 Mohammed III had the Royal Mosque of the Alhambra constructed on this spot. After the Reconquista it was decided to build the Church of Santa Maria de la Alhambra in its place. Work began in 1581 but was not completed until 1618. Like many Andalucian churches its most distinctive feature is its bell tower which (whisper it quietly) is reminiscent of a minaret.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller