GREAT AMWELL CHURCH
It is the situation of Great Amwell’s Church that makes it remarkable, standing on a spur of land above the New River with thickly wooded slopes leading down to the water’s edge and tranquil walkways all around.
The chancel and nave are the oldest surviving sections dating to the late 11th Century, the west tower was added around 1425 at which time it seems that the roof was relaid as one tie-beam from this vintage has survived. The bells in the tower are all Elizabethan.Everything was restored around 1866 but with a lightness of touch not always shown in Hertfordshire’s church restorations.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller