ST. ANDREW, HOLBORN
City of London
One of the largest of Sir Christopher Wren's City of London churches, St. Andrew stands on the very edge of the City itself. For once Wren did not start again, but used existing medieval materials to build around. This maybe because the church was not, in fact, damaged during the Great Fire but was found to be in such poor condition that Wren decided to rebuild anyway.
Thomas Coram worshipped here, William Hazlitt was married here and Benjamin Disraeli was received into the church at St. Andrews.
It was on this church's steps in 1827 that William Marsden found a woman dying, inspiring him to set up the Royal Free Hospital in Greville Street for the poor and destitute, which later moved to Grays Inn Road and is now in Hampstead.
In 1941 it fell victim to the Blitz but was in good enough condition to be rebuilt by 1960. Interiors come from various other destroyed churches, such as the gilded altarpiece from St. Luke and the organ which was given by Handel to the now destroyed Foundling Hospital in 1750.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller