Anstey Church is another of those in Hertfordshire which has Saxon origins but nothing earlier that around 1200 has survived. The church was rebuilt at this time by Sir Richard de Anestie (Anstey). It is suggested that the nearby Castle was used as a quarry to provide stone for the church, but as the Castle was known to have been rebuilt around 1215 this seems unlikely. It is more likely the two were built simultaneously but the Castle has not survived with any stonework intact.
The church is best known for its 13th Century graffiti and for having one of only two Norman mermen fonts in the country.The Victorians largely left Anstey church to its own devices and so it is one of the better preserved medieval churches in Hertfordshire. A window installed in 2000 commemorates the US Airmen who were stationed in the area.
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller