Ardeley is an attractive, isolated village of thatched houses surrounding the church which is mostly 13th Century in origin.
The nave, as ever the oldest surviving part of the church, dates to the early 13th Century with the chancel being added a little later. The south aisle and the tower were added around 1340. The last major additions were in the 15th Century when the clerestory and north porch were built.
In the 19th Century the church was re-roofed and the chancel almost entirely rebuilt, although it has retained some of its windows from the original.Although the church has no significant history it is in a particularly nice setting.
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller