A church existed here at
Almost all of what remains today is a Victorian rebuild of a church dating to the 14th Century. Church records commence in 1544 and are amongst the earliest in the country.
In around 1550 the new tower was added, demolishing an older one. In 1566 the Vicar of Arnold was excommunicated for giving Holy Communion to someone who had previously themselves been excommunicated.
By 1601 the Church was in a state of poor repair and although some repairs were carried out nothing major happened until the mid-19th Century when a full programme of restoration was undertaken to help cope with the influx of new commuters to Nottingham. These repairs were obviously poorly undertaken as a further set of restoration was done in the 1920s.
A bomb hit the church during World War II and took out the roof which has subsequently been replaced.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller