Arrington village sits on the ancient Roman road of Ermine Street and later became a coaching stop on the road north.
Due to its position on Ermine Street the church in Arrington seems likely to have been founded by either Aelfric, a local Saxon thegn, or by Theodred, a Saxon Bishop of London around 940. At the time of the Domesday Book a church certainly stood here, but as was often the case this was essentially rebuilt between 1250 and 1300. Remains of 13th Century wall paintings have been found at the west end of the church.
A small church was added to the church, unusual in this area, around 1750 by one of the workers rebuilding nearby Wimpole Hall.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller