The small ruined building by the River in Arundel is all that remains of the town’s oldest surviving building, a minor Priory of the Dominicans. It is thought to date to around 1221 and is mentioned in a will in 1253 implying it was well-established by that time.
It is next mentioned in 1324 when Edmund, Earl of Arundel notes that it is no longer able to accommodate the number of inmates, at which time he grants an additional two acres of land to the Priory.
The Priory then flourished until the Dissolution when it was given, along with the Dominican Priory in Chichester to one Edward Myllet of Westminster. The year was 1540. Subsequent to this time the history of the Priory is unclear, but it seems to have slowly fallen into ruin until we are left with the fairly insignificant remains that stand by the Arun today.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
Shaun and Alison Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller