ALL SAINTS' CHURCH
This handsome church is at the opposite end of Broad Street to the Cathedral. It dates from the early 1300s when it was founded as a minor monastic settlement. It soon became a parish church and the spire which dominates was added only a few years later, making it a very early spire.
Inside much is as it was in the medieval period, the choir stalls are still here from the 14th Century a remarkable survival in a non-Cathedral church. The pulpit was added in 1621 and one interesting article in the vestry is a 17th Century hour-glass which was placed there to stop long sermons!
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller