This unassuming little church sits at one end of Aspenden village, a single road of a village which sits just outside Buntingford in a valley and feels a bit like it is lost in time.
The earliest remains of the nave and chancel are late 11th Century Norman and rebuilds seem to have occurred in the 15th Century with the south chancel chapel being remodelled in 1622. The Tower is from the late 14th Century and is topped with a Hertfordshire spike that was added in 1721. The south porch dates to around 1526.
Amongst the tombs in the church is one from St. Michael Cornhill in the City of London which was brought here after the Great Fire in 1666.
The whole church was restored in 1873 by Sir Arthur Blomfield.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller