There was a Carmelite Friary on this site from about 1242. This became a private house at the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The Carmelites bought the property back in 1949 and set about turning it into a modern pilgrimage centre based around a medieval core.
Today it is one of the best examples in England of a real working monastery, producing pottery and mead. It is a very peaceful place to visit and the people of North Kent have long used it as place to visit on sunny afternoons. A welcome is always extended, particularly to travellers who with prior arrangement can stay rent free.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller