CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD
Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland
Full dedication: Church of the Good Shepherd
Became a Cathedral in 1957 - ceased to be a cathedral in 1992
Until May 1961 the Cathedral for the Catholic Diocese of Galloway was in Dumfries, but it was destroyed in a fire and so the Cathedral was moved to this modern church on the outskirts of Ayr. From the outside, and indeed the inside, it has the appearance of a not very attractive modern parish church which belies it's status and large Diocese. Since 1992 the Cathedral status has been transferred to St. Margaret's Church nearby.
With the best will in the World, it is probably only worth seeking out if you (a) want to worship there or (b) are trying to visit every Cathedral in the Universe.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller