CHURCH OF ST. MARY AND ALL SAINTS

Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire

Church of St. Mary and All Saints, Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire

The Parish Church in Beaconsfield has an uncertain origin. The list of clergy dates back to 1210 AD, but it seems probably that some structure pre-dated this. The first minister appointed was William de Windsor who was given his position in 1210 by the Rector of Burnham, one Walter de Windsor (most likely a relation).

There is no further mention of the church until 1420 when the Lord of the Manor gave a grant for the upkeep of the belfry. In 1521 a bequest was left to build a steeple but by 1634 the church was in need of repair. This situation remained the same until the rights of patronage passed to Magdalen College, Oxford in 1705 and repairs were started.

In 1869 a major enlargement programme was undertaken as Beaconsfield grew in size and by 1885 we were left with one of the most impressive churches in the county.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2013


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery