ST. CUTHBERT'S CHURCH
It is thought a church stood here, in the shadow
The north and south aisles were added in 1865 and the north transept porch in 1907.
By 1974 the Church of England had decided that St. Cuthbert’s was redundant and they sold the building to the Harpur Trust who subsequently presented it to the Polish Community of Bedford who renamed it as the Polish Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and St. Cuthbert and began to use it for Roman Catholic services – an unusual instance of an Anglican church converting to Catholicism rather than the other way around.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller