East Riding of Yorkshire
This very large
The first church was built around 1120 and expansion and restructuring continued almost continually until around 1530. This means that the church has a glorious mix of architectural styles, all carried out with aplomb and the confidence of a rich town.
It is unclear when the focus of the people of Beverley began to turn more to the Minster, probably after the Dissolution when the Collegiate Church of Beverley was suppressed and it shifted to be the parish church. This left St. Mary’s “high and dry” and for some while it began to deteriorate. But the mid-19th Century saw the great upsurge in interest for gothic architecture under the Victorians and restoration here was varied out by three of the most prolific church restorers, A.W. Pugin, his son, E.W. Pugin and Sir Gilbert Scott.
We are left today with an intricate and very beautiful church, counterbalanced by the massive edifice of the Minster with beautiful Beverley town sandwiched between.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller