East Riding of Yorkshire
Incredible that this, one of the greatest and most elegant of all England's churches, does not have Cathedral status.
The Church of St. John and St. Martin was founded around 700 by St. John of Beverley. The current church, a pinnacle of English Perpendicular, was built around 1220 which was the fourth church on the site.
St. John's remains lie in the nave. King Henry V came here to give thanks after the Battle of Agincourt. Between 1390 and 1420 the great west towers were added.
Today the Minster dominates the beautiful small town of Beverley and is probably the most interesting place in the whole of the East Riding of Yorkshire.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller