BLYTH PRIORY CHURCH
In 1409 the alien priory was dissolved (within a few years an Act of Parliament would ban all alien priories in England) but it was refounded immediately afterwards as an independent Benedictine Priory under direct English rule.
It seems that at the time of refounding the church and buildings were completed renovated. Most of the structures surviving in the church today date from the 13th and 14th centuries, with the tower being a late 15th century addition.
Henry VIII arrived in 1536 and the Priory was closed for good. The church became the parish church for the town and the non-ecclesiastical buildings of the Priory were allowed to fall into ruin. A house was built into the cloister ruins but this was demolished in 1670 and a new house was built which only retained the cellar of the Priory… this in turn was demolished in the 1970s and the site is now a small housing estate clustered right up against the northern side of the church which still performs the function of the parish church for Blyth.Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller