Today functioning as a Theatre and Arts Centre, this is what remains of the refectory of the Dominican Friary of Boston, the only one of its four Friaries to have survived to the present.
It isn’t entirely clear when the Friary was first set up, but it is first references in 1288 when it was rebuilt after a fire. In 1300 29 Friars operated from the Friary and it survived until the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
The refectory building was all that survived and it was converted into a theatre in 1965 – the other three Friaries having long since vanished.
There is supposedly the ghost of a friar here who hides sharp objects left behind by theatregoers under the stage.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony
Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller