ST. BOTOLPH, ALDERSGATE

City of London

St. Botolph, Aldersgate, City of London

One of the minor churches of London, this St. Botolph’s (not be confused with St. Botolph, Aldgate) dates to 1788 when it was rebuilt by Nathanial Wright. The church is rather plain other than the small cupola tower with a gilded weather vane. The east façade was not added until 1831 and is in classical style – it is currently painted a rather horrid turquoise colour. Inside it has one of the few 18th century stained glass windows left in the City, Agony in the Garden by John Pearson, the impact of which is somewhat muddied by two post-war glass windows on either side which John Betjeman described as “hideously out of keeping”.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2010


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery