ST. BOTOLPH-WITHOUT-BISHOPSGATE

City of London

St. Botolph-without-Bishopsgate, City of London

This City church stands close to Liverpool Street station on Bishopsgate almost exactly where the Gate itself stood – hence the name. It has one of the largest churchyards of any of the City churches which once butted up against the London City Wall. The infant son of Ben Jonson is buried in this churchyard.

A place of worship is said to have existed here in Roman times – and, indeed, the position next to the Roman Wall would imply this is a possibility. There was certainly an Anglo-Saxon church here as remains were found during the construction of the current church – the fourth – in 1725. George Dance the Elder was the chosen architect and the previous church – which survived the Great Fire in 1666 was demolished in order for the new one to be built.

The Elizabethan Actor Edward Alleyn was baptised in the church in 1566 and John Keats in the current church in 1795.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2012


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery