A Norman church once stood in the needlessly beautiful Cotswold village of Bourton-on-the-Water. The majority of that church was pulled down in 1784 leaving only the chancel and a few other fragments remaining.
All was then rebuilt to designs by William Marshall – not an architect but a local resident! The distinctive tower with its cupola was Marshall’s most distinguished feature. This and his work on the chancel was retained in 1875 when an actual architect, Sir Thomas Jackson, was employed to rebuild the church once more and fix some of Marshall’s more amateur work. This work was completed by 1890 and the interior was fitted out in typically dour and dark Victorian style.
All of this makes Bourton’s Church a bit of an odd mish-mash of styles but also makes it an interesting diversion from the predominantly Cotswold golden limestone buildings of the rest of the village.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller