Astonishingly, Blackpool lacked a church until this one was built in 1821. This was the Church of St. John the Evangelist and was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester in July of that year. Within ten years it was decided that the church was too small and in 1875 work began to rebuild. This was completed in 1878 with a new church which could seat 1223 people.
1979 saw the centenary of its new consecration (which was by that time done by the newly created Bishop of Manchester). More recent times have been less kind to both the church and the town, but a massive £1.6 million renovation programme completed in February 2007 and the church is once more in tip top condition.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller