HIGH BRADFIELD CHURCH
West Riding of Yorkshire
The Saxons worshipped near here and a cross was found during excavations in 1870 which was built into the wall of the church in 1886.
The first church in High Bradfield seems to be an early Norman structure dating to around 1109. A motte and bailey castle stands nearby. In the 11th Century the church was downgraded to a Chapel of Ease attached to nearby Ecclesfield Church. It remained that way until 1868 when a new parish was established.
The tower dates to the 1300s and the whole church was rebuilt in the 1480s reusing the original stonework. During the Civil War the interior was stripped of all colour, but the 19th Century renovation work replaced the whitewash and plain windows with colour and stained glass once more. It was at this time that the Saxon cross was inserted into the north wall.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller