Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
A Priory at Bradwell was founded around 1154 for the Benedictines. It became a minor but locally important Abbey but suffered terribly during the Black Death when, amongst many others, the Prior, William of Loughton died. From this point on the Abbey never really recovered its position and closed 12 years before the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1524.
After the Abbey closed its land and revenues were granted to Cardinal Wolsey and many of the buildings have vanished in subsequent years.
All that stands today is one small 14th Century chapel and farm buildings which occupy some of the former non-ecclesiastical buildings of the Abbey. Some mediaeval wall paintings have survived inside the chapel. Today the Abbey operates as an Urban Studies Centre and stands, feeling rather out of place between the main railway and industrial estates at one end of Milton Keynes (not far from those infamous concrete cows).
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller