West Riding of Yorkshire
In 1818 Parliament passed an act to build churches in developing industrial areas. 30 of these were in the West Riding of Yorkshire and St. Martin’s in Brighouse is one of them. It was consecrated in 1831, initially in the Diocese of York, but later Ripon and today Wakefield.
For the first 12 years it was a sub-house of Rastrick but in 1843 the parish of Brighouse was created. A second parish church, St. James’, was built in 1870 and it stayed as a second parish church until the early 1970s when it was demolished.
In 1904 the chancel was rebuilt and in 1925 the parish hall and church house were added. In the early 21st century the interior of the church was modernised.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony
Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller