BRIGHOUSE CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH

West Riding of Yorkshire

Brighouse Central Methodist Church, West Riding of Yorkshire

Brighouse Central Methodist Church began life, as Bethel Church, around 1850 on the site of an earlier chapel. It was opened in 1905 and is considered a good example of arts and crafts architecture.

By 1949 there were 11 Methodist churches in Brighouse, three of which stood in the centre of town only a few hundred yards from each other. The first of these to close was St. Paul’s, the other town centre churches – Park and Bethel – looked set to continue together. Incredibly it took another thirty years for the local Methodist communities to take action and eventually this church – Bethel Church – was selected to be the Central Methodist Church for the town. It was formally opened as such in November 1981. In December 1984 the front of the church was gutted after a fire and it was not until Advent Sunday 1985 that the church re-opened in its current form.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2016


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery