ST. PETER'S CHURCH

Bristol, Gloucestershire

St. Peter's Church, Bristol, Gloucestershire

An ancient church standing in Castle Park, Bristol near the few remains of Bristol Castle. The church was founded during the Saxon period, although the oldest surviving remains are the base of the tower which is 12th Century.

The remainder of the church was built in the 15th Century and it is considered to be the oldest church in the City. All of this history came to an abrupt end on 24 November 1940 when the Luftwaffe bombed Bristol in one of a series of savage bombings called “the Bristol Blitz”. St. Peters, along with four other city churches, was reduced to a ruined shell. It was said by the Lord Mayor of Bristol that the “city of churches had in one night become the city of ruins”.

Since the War the church has been kept as a memorial to the civilian war dead of the City of Bristol.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2014


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery