ST. STEPHEN'S CHURCH
St. Stephen’s is the parish church of the City of Bristol, and is the closest to the city centre. The current building stands on the site of an 11th Century church, but only dates to the 14th Century and was heavily rebuild around 1470.
The tower, which is 152 feet high, was paid for by John Shipward, four times Mayor of Bristol who died in 1473. It seems likely that some of the embellishments – such as the “Gloucestershire crown” were added later.A storm in 1703 damaged the church and repairs were made, and some of the internal work was altered around 1873.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller