Broadstairs, Bradstowe in antiquity, only had a chapel between 1601 and 1829. The Parish Church was at St. Peter’s which is now a separate entity on the inland edge of town.
The first parish church in Broadstairs town was began in 1829 and consecrated in 1850. A tower was added to the west end but it was removed after only a brief period of time when it became unsafe.
As the 19th Century went on the Oxford Movement created a revival in the Church of England and it became necessary for Holy Trinity Church to be enlarged. This was completed in 1925 and the church was re-dedicated by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The church is rather plain looking and the missing tower is very noticeable giving the church an unfinished appearance.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller