ST PETER'S CHURCH
A church is recorded here in 1070, when it is recorded as being built in stone. This may, or may not, be the foundation of the structure. At that time St. Peter’s was very much separate from Broadstairs (Bradstowe as it was then), although today the two have merged into one.
The nave of the Church as it stands today is from the late Norman period and the Chancel is Early English. The tower and south power were added in the 15th Century. The tower has a large crack reputedly caused by an earthquake.
During the Napoleonic Wars the church tower was used as a signalling station and has the right to fly the White Ensign. In the early 1800s the population shifted their focus towards the coast and Broadstairs itself began to grow, Holy Trinity Church there was built around 1830 and the parishes separated in 1850.
Sadly St. Peter’s was very heavily restored during the Victorian period between 1860 and 1900 and it doesn’t look anything like the age that it actually is. The young Ted Heath, future Prime Minister, was born in St. Peter’s village and sang in the church choir.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller