BROMFIELD PRIORY CHURCH
The little church of St. Mary has its origins in a Benedictine Priory chapel dating to 1135. The Priory was never in the top flight, but it was rich enough, and aware enough of its situation on the edge of wild Wales, to build a gatehouse in the 14th Century which is the only other survival beyond the Church building.
The Dissolution arrived in 1540 and the Priory was no more. The buildings were sold to one Charles Foxe and he turned the church into a house. The remains of his house are still to be found in the churchyard. In 1658 the Church became a Church once more and it has remained as such ever since.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller