It is thought that a church stood in Broxbourne at the time of the Domesday Book, but it is unclear if this may refer to St. Laurence’s Church in Wormley which is Saxon in origin.
Although the font in the current church is 12th Century, nothing else survives that is any earlier than the 15th Century. Most of the work seems to have been completed by 1460 and seems to have mostly been paid for by Sir John Say, Lord of the Manor whose tomb is inside the church. Subsequent to this the aisles, tower and vestry were all added during the late 15th and 16th Century.
Everything has been heavily rebuilt by the Victorians and it is not altogether clear what bits of the church are oldest. It seems likely that a lot of work was undertaken as the “New” River was built through Broxbourne – right by the churchyard. This does, at least, provide some very attractive vistas from which to view the church.
Broxbourne parish once extended all the way through Hoddesdon, but as that town grew it became apparent that it needed its own parish and one was created in 1844. In 1970 Broxbourne parish merged with Wormley.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller