ST. CHAD'S CATHEDRAL, BIRMINGHAM
Full dedication: Cathedral Church of St. Chad
Became a Cathedral in 1841
One of the earliest Catholic Cathedrals in Britain it was designed by a young Augustus Pugin and clearly has Norman architecture in mind (it is remarkably reminiscent of Southwell Minster). Pugin's churches tended to nod towards Gothic architecture and that direction is signposted by St. Chad's.
It's position has been undermined somewhat by the addition of a large dual carriageway thundering in front of it and a series of ugly concrete underpasses which are now the only way to approach the Cathedral.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller