Buckingham is a venerable town, but its church is only 200 years old. In medieval times this was the site of Buckingham Castle, now reduced to vaguely discernable earthworks. The ancient church was in the town centre and dated to the Saxon period.
However, in 1776 the spire on the old church fell down (for a second time) and destroyed a whole swathe of the surrounding houses. This was only a few years after much of the town centre had been destroyed in a terrible fire (1725), so the decision was now made to move the church up the hill to the vacant castle site where any future collapses might be less damaging.
This new church was consecrated in 1780 and dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul. A huge rebuilding programme was started by local lad, Sir George Gilbert Scott, in 1866 although the spire and tower are more or less as they were in 1780.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller