ST. PETER'S CHURCH
Buntingford for many centuries did not have its own parish church – it was in the parish of Layston, the ruined church of which now lies about half a mile outside of the town.
Instead, Buntingford had a relief chapel dating from the 17th Century during the Puritan period and as such is one of the very few religious structures to have survived from this time. It houses a very rare 16th Century turret clock.
The church was expanded in the late 1800s by Arthur Young, a significant church builder, who built it in the shape of a Greek cross. All was completed by 1914 – ironically the year that work began on the more traditional St. Richard’s Catholic Church nearby.
Today, St. Peter’s at Buntingford is initially disappointing in such an old and attractive town, but a little research unveils the importance of this building – a most unusual survivor of a neglected period of English history.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller