This tiny little church is one of the oldest in Hertfordshire. Standing in a remote and high position north of Baldock it dates to at least the 8th Century. There isn’t much left of the Saxon work here, saving some floor levels which were excavated producing a lot of Saxon pottery. The nave is the oldest surviving structure above ground which dates to the 12th Century. Some work was done in the 15th Century when two windows were blocked up.
The church is unusual in having a surviving 14th Century Roof Loft as well as a rood screen from a similar date. Most of these were removed during the Reformation, but somehow this little church has survived. The tiny bell tower dates to around 1715.
Like many ancient churches there are some wall paintings at this church which seem to date from the 17th Century.In 2000 a stained glass window was installed designed by Michael Lassen and depicting St. Margaret of Antioch whose dress features snowdrops which grow in profusion hereabout.
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller