Caddington stands on the border between the English and the Danelaw and so was considered “front line” in the 9th Century. Some kind of church – probably a wooden one – existed here before the Norman Conquest but stone did not arrive until the early 1100s.
The chancel was enlarged around 1270 and in 1330 the church as a whole was extended. Two hundred years later and the church was extended once again and at this time the tower was added. The church looks like many others in southern England and is unremarkable whilst still being attractive. The Victorians, as usual, did some repair work around 1876 but don’t seem to have gone mad with their alterations.
One unusual item is the one-handed clock in the tower which dates to around 1695.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller