A church existed here since the Middle Ages. Some of the stonework was reused in the subsequent rebuilding.
In 1841 the church which had been altered and added to over the centuries and was described as an architectural mess was destroyed by fire. A competition was launched for the rebuilding and it was won by Moffatt and Scott.
This Scott is Sir George Gilbert Scott and St. Giles Church was his first major church commission.
The church, with its 210 foot tall spire, was consecrated by the Bishop of Winchester in 1844. One of its best known features is the west window which is by John Ruskin.
The spire was rebuilt in 2000 at a cost of £1.2 million.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller