CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
In the late 18th Century Camden Town was growing rapidly, with large numbers of London workers settling in the village. An ancient church had existed in Camden, but it was in a terrible state by the time St. Pancras New Church was built on Euston Road at the very southern end of the parish. By 1818 it was becoming fairly obvious that a church was needed in the north of the parish and so, in 1822 work began on the Camden Chapel, which subsequently became St. Stephens and then All Saints.
The design team was the same as for the St. Pancras church, father and son William and Henry Inwood. The style is not unlike that for the other church, but this time a more rounded front and a much slighter tower was put in place.
For two hundred years the congregation was strong, but early in the 20th Century attendance began to drop off and in 1948 it became a Greek Othodox Church for the local, mainly Cypriot, Greek community. It has since been raised to the status of Cathedral and was recently renovated in 2009 under the watchful eye of the National Trust.
Photos - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller