ST. MILDRED AND ST MARY DE CASTRO
Although not obvious from the outside, St. Mildreds is actually the oldest church within the City Walls of Canterbury. It dates to the 8th Century and some of this Saxon period walling still survives in the west and south walls of the church. St. Mildred was a home-grown Kentish saint, being the great granddaughter of King Ethelbert.
Further additions were made in the 13th, 15th and 16th Centuries with the 15th Century tower being demolished in 1832.
In 1486 the nearby church of St. Mary de Castro was demolished and the parish was merged with St. Mildreds.
In 1626 the famous fisherman and writer, Izaak Walton, was married in this church.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller