After the Reconquista reached Granada in 1492 it was, essentially, the end of Moorish Spain. Granada was the last major city to be liberated. The newly triumphant Ferdinand and Isabella decided to celebrate this by having a Royal Chapel built in the centre of the city. Work commenced in 1504 and they decreed their remains should be buried here. It took until 1517 for the Chapel to be completed and the Royal remains were not installed here until 1521.
Today the Capilla Real feels more like an addition to Granada Cathedral, particularly as most people enter the Chapel from the Cathedral.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller