OF ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST
Caterham as a town relocated from the ancient
village at the
top of the hill (now often called Caterham-on-the-Hill) to the bottom
hill (now sometimes called Caterham Valley)
when the railway
arrived. Once this slip downhill had become complete and the top of the
had become a secondary part of the town the need was felt to relocate
parish church. Instead of doing this, a second church was built instead
cater for the needs of the population in the valley whilst the ancient
on the hill was left to administer to the rapidly declining parish at
of the hill which it still does today.
The new church, St.
the Evangelist, was begun in 1881 to plans by William Bassett Smith. It
opened in 1882 and the tower were added a decade later completing the
see today. The church is very much a traditional build and has some
stained glass inside. The only ancient thing in the church is the font,
comes from St. Lawrence’s Church in Caterham-on-the-Hill.
Some very unsympathetic modern
buildings have all but hidden
St. John the Evangelist from the High Street and train station and one
best views can be had from the roof of the nearby multi-storey car park.
- Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches,
Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller