CHELMSFORD CATHEDRAL

Essex

Chelmsford Cathedral, Essex

Full Dedication: Cathedral Church of St. Mary the Virgin, St. Peter and St. Cedd
Became a Cathedral in 1914

The original cathedral for Essex was at Bradwell-on-Sea. At the centre of the new cathedral in Chelmsford is a mid-late medieval church with the bulk dating from the 15th century. A large 18th century addition gave the church greater proportions as Chelmsford began to grow in size and needed the higher capacity.

The Cathedral at Bradwell ceased functioning as such some centuries before the church at Chelmsford was raised to the status of cathedral in 1914.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2009


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery