The church is
The first mention of a church here is in the Domesday Book in 1086, but it is unclear what form this church would have taken. The church which forms the core of today’s church was built between 1418 and 1448 at the behest of Nicholas Dixon, the rector, whose tomb is below the altar.
In 1625 the Royal coat of arms of Charles II was added to the church, Charles died at nearby Theobalds that year. The clock dates to around 1750 and the south chapel was added around 1872. It was at this time that the Victorian restructuring of the church began and although the basic shape remains it is now quite hard to see the medieval structure underneath the later additions.
In 1945 a V-2 rocket landed nearby and destroyed most of the surviving 15th Century windows on the south side of the church. These have since been replaced.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller