CHRISTCHURCH, CLIFTON

Bristol, Gloucestershire

Christchurch, Clifton, Bristol, Gloucestershire

During the mid-19th Century the part of Bristol today called Clifton was growing hugely. Work had begun on Brunel’s bridge in 1831 and although it was not completed until 1864 the bridge rapidly became a catalyst in growing Clifton’s well-heeled populace.

A parish church was built in 1841 to accommodate the growing suburb which was designed by Charles Dyer. The spire, by John Norton, was added in 1859 and the aisles in 1885 by William Basset Smith.

Bizarrely a replica of the church exists in Thames Town, a suburb of Shanghai built to imitate English architecture.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2013


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery